Fish canning in British Columbia started at Annieville Cannery in 1870.
Annieville Cannery was the first fish cannery built in British Columbia. It was established in June 1870 by Alexander Loggie & Co, founded by Alexander Ewen, James Wise, Alexander Loggie and David Hennessey.
The cannery was built on the Fraser River across from New Westminster. In the first season 30,000 1-lb cans of salmon were exported to England. Alexander Ewen also processed lower quality fish in a saltery on the site.
Operations continued into the 1940s. Today a commemorative sign marks the site where the cannery once stood.