Lion Island canned salmon was a house-hold item in Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand.
Ewen and Co. built the Ewen Cannery and saltery on Lion Island in the Annacis Channel of the Fraser River in 1876. For some of the cannery’s history, it was the largest processing plant on the Fraser River. With a saltery on-site, Ewen ensured that as many fish as possible could be processed and sold.
A clever an inexpensive housing alternative was used at Ewen Cannery. A stern-wheeler, the Skeena, was tied to the wharf and used as bunkhouse for cannery workers.
The site was purchased by BC Packers Association in 1902. The cannery operated every season until it was closed in 1930, after which it was used as a fish camp for Imperial Cannery.