Home Plant refers to the head office and main plant of the Canadian Fishing Company (Canfisco), one of the larger and longest operating fishing companies in B.C.
The Home Plant was built in 1918 and was the company’s first venture into salmon canning. Already established as a fish processing company, Canfisco saw success with canning, and soon was competing directly with BC Packers Association Ltd. Home Plant is still operating at the foot of Gore Avenue on Vancouver’s industrial waterfront.
When Canfisco consolidated their operations in the 1930s, they transported fish from other plants, such as Gulf of Georgia Cannery, to the Home Plant for processing. The canning lines shut down at Home Plant in the 1990s, but the facility still processes other products.
Alvah L. Hager was Canfisco’s first president. He established the company’s position on the coast, by buying smaller outlying canneries in the 1920s. In 1937 following the ratification of the Pacific Salmon Treaty, Hager was appointed to the International Pacific Salmon Fisheries Commission, and served as its first Chairman. He passed away in 1948, having spent a long career working with Canfisco and the government to improve conservation of fish stocks in both Canada and the United States.