Skip to main content
  1. Home /
  2. Map /

Hume Cannery | Ewen (Dummy Cannery)

Cans are stacked to the rafters inside a wooden building.

Can loft at an unknown cannery. Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society Archives G2002.003.001aa

1896-1902

49°07’19.7″N 123°10’31.6″W

  • Built in 1896 by Alexander Ewen & Co. on the Steveston waterfront as a dummy (non-operational) cannery to qualify for more fishing licenses
  • Purchased and made operational by John A. Hume in 1896
  • Acquired and closed by the BC Packers Association in 1902 and used as a net loft
  • Buildings torn down in 1904 and property used by the Imperial Cannery