Skip to main content
  1. Home /
  2. Map /

Nanaimo Cannery

View of buildings in Nanaimo Harbour from a hilltop

City of Nanaimo in 1913 as seen from a hilltop, facing toward the Bastion and Departure Bay. Image E-02633 courtesy of the Royal BC Museum and Archives

1914-1930

49°09’04.2″N 123°55’14.9″W

  • Built in 1914 in Nanaimo by the Nanaimo Canning Co.
  • Salmon cannery with herring processing for halibut bait and dry salting
  • In 1925 the first vacuum sealer machine used in B.C. was installed here
  • Purchased by Canadian Fishing Co. in 1926
  • Last recorded salmon pack was in 1930