Skip to main content
  1. Home /
  2. Map /

Prince Rupert Fishermen’s Co-Operative Plant

Exterior view of fish shed on pilings.

Prince Rupert Fishermen’s Co-operative Association main fish shed, 1946. Image BC_1532_1337_083 courtesy of UBC Special Collections.

1961-1989

54°17’24.5″N 130°21’30.6″W

  • Prince Rupert Fishermen’s Cooperative (PRFC) built a plant at next to the government wharf in Prince Rupert in 1931
  • Started by processing halibut livers for oil
  • 1943-1955, added a fish dock, fish shed, smoke house, reduction plant and cold storage
  • The cannery operated from 1961-1989
  • Acquired by J.S. McMillan Fisheries when the PRFC declared bankruptcy in 1989