Quathiaski Cannery's story is an excellent example of how canneries contributed to the growth of communities in remote areas along the B.C. Coast.
1904-1909 and 1910-1941
The Quathiaski Cannery was the first cannery in the Campbell River area when it was built in 1904 by the Pidcock brothers on Quadra Island. Although it was originally a small operation, it supplied much needed jobs to the First Nations and Europeans in the area. It was originally named Pidcock but was renamed Quathiaski by W.E. Anderson and W.H. Malkin when they bought it in 1908. In 1909 the cannery burned down and was rebuilt the following year. This rebirth under Anderson’s management helped the community of Campbell River grow and prosper by providing a strong local industry.
The plant was sold to BC Packers Ltd. in 1938 and it burned down in 1941. Although the cannery was not rebuilt, it operated as a fishing camp and net loft afterwards.